Man dies after fight between rival football fans outside pub in Blackpool

0503 Manchester pub blackpool
Emergency services were called to Lytham Road near The Manchester Pub. Credit: ITV News

Blackpool Football Club have lead tributes to one of their supporters, Tony Johnson, who has died following an assault at the weekend.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information about the incident and for any footage to be handed over as they attempt to figure out what happened.

The incident took place around 7pm on Saturday outside The Manchester pub, at the junction of Lytham Road and the Promenade.

Officers say they were made aware of a group of people fighting outside the nearby Manchester pub. Credit: ITV News

Lancashire Police say they believe a fight broke out between rival fans following the Blackpool v Burnley football match that had taken place earlier.

Officers were in the area at the time and found Tony Johnson, 55 with serious head injuries. Despite CPR being given at the scene Mr Johnson died in hospital overnight.

DCI Tracey McMurdo, of Lancashire Police, said: “Sadly Mr Johnson died in hospital overnight and his family are, understandably, devastated. We are supporting them at this difficult time and are determined to get them answers about what happened.

“The investigation continues and we are appealing for information about what occurred. The incident took place in a busy area and we know there were a lot of people around at the time who will have seen all or part of what happened. There may also be people who filmed the incident on a mobile phone or captured it on CCTV or dashcam.

“If you do have any footage, and have not yet been in contact with us, please get in touch.

“At the heart of this is a grieving family, who are incredibly distressed by what has happened, so we also ask that if you have any footage you do not share it on social media. If you have already done so, we respectfully ask that you remove it.”

The incident happened between rival football fans after Blackpool took on Burnley, resulting in a 0-0 draw. Credit: PA Images

In a statement released today Blackpool Football Club paid tribute to Tony, saying:

"Blackpool FC is deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the news that supporter, Tony Johnson, tragically lost his life earlier this morning. "All of the thoughts of everyone at the football club go out to Tony's family and friends. "Rest in peace, Tony."

Blackpool Tower will also be lit up orange to show support to the community and everyone affected by the news.

A 33-year-old man from Burnley was arrested at the scene on suspicion of wounding and he has since been bailed, pending further enquiries, until June 1st.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To know...