Baby's death at St Mary's Hospital Manchester investigated for gross negligence manslaughter

The death of a baby at a hospital is being investigated by police for gross negligence manslaughter.

Polly Lindop died within 24 hours after being born at Saint Mary's Hospital in Manchester, on 13 March 2023.

Concerns were raised to the coroner and Greater Manchester Police (GMP), and after careful consideration, the force says, the Major Incident Team are now investigating.

A number of hospital staff have been spoken to as witnesses by officers, but no arrests have been made so far, it added.

Sharing a picture of the "beautiful" baby girl they vowed to "never give up the fight" for answers over her death.

Kimberley Lindop, Polly's mother, added: "We will never give up the fight. We will find out exactly what happened in the hours leading up to Polly’s death."A baby couldn’t be loved anymore - she is our everything and she lives on in her brothers and sister every day.

"My hopes really for the investigation is simply to find answers, to find out why Polly died - was in natural causes or was it the incident the police are currently investigating

"Polly's death was unexpected by all and we simply need to know what it was that’s lead us to where we are now.

"We would like to thank GMP for their continual efforts everyday and their support

"I really want the world to now know what Polly meant to us, she is the light of our lives and we miss her so very much every single day.

"We will work with everyone until the conclusion arrives."

Polly died at Saint Mary's hospital in Manchester. Credit: MEN Media

DCI Mark Davis of GMP’s Major Incident Team said: “First, I want to express my condolences to the parents of Polly at what is an extremely difficult time for them.

"Our thoughts will remain with them as we carry out our investigation.

"A number of hospital staff have been spoken to as witnesses by officers and no arrests have been made at this time.

"The hospital trust has been fully cooperative with the police and all relevant authorities have been kept informed.

"The investigation into Polly’s death is on-going and her family will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments.”

A spokesperson for Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, said: “GMP are investigating an incident that happened in March 2023.

"Our thoughts continue to be with the family and we are co-operating fully with the police investigation.”