Driver and teenage girl die in Wirral school bus M53 crash

A driver and a 15-year-old girl have died after a school bus was left on its side on the M53 motorway.

The driver and the teenager died after the coach, carrying 58 people including the driver, ended up on its side.

A 14-year-old boy has suffered life-changing injuries in the crash on the M53 in Wirral on Friday 29 September.

Two children were taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital with serious injuries, while a number of other patients were taken to surrounding hospitals for treatment to minor injuries, the ambulance service said.

52 children were transported to a casualty clearing centre at the emergency services training centre in Wallasey.

Of those, 39 have now been discharged while the remainder were treated for minor injuries and then released.

Eight children were transferred to the Countess of Chester and Arrowe Park hospitals.

  • Joanna Clague, Area Director for North West Ambulance Service

Emergency services were called shortly after 8am to reports of the crash on the northbound M53 near J5 at Hooton, Cheshire.

The bus was en route to West Kirby all-girls grammar school and Calday Grange all-boys grammar school, also in West Kirby, Merseyside.

Both schools confirmed one of its buses was involved.

Schoolchildren travelling on buses in convoy with the one that crashed will be provided with specialist support.

Junctions three to five of the M53 is expected to be closed for a further few hours while investigations continue.

  • Mark Thomas, Area manager of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service

Mark Thomas, Area Manager of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, told a press conference: “Firefighters worked with emergency services colleagues at scene to stabilise the vehicle. We ensured the scene was safe, and we assisted casualties exiting the bus.

“Working jointly with our police and ambulance colleagues, shortly after we were able to assist the casualties onto a second coach to receive care away from the scene.

“Our operations are currently scaling down, and currently we stay at the scene, in attendance, to preserve the scene with Merseyside Police whilst an investigation is conducted.

“The thoughts of everyone at Merseyside Police Fire and Rescue Service are with the friends, the colleagues, and the families of all of those involved in this terrible incident.”