The Prince of Wales will open Windermere's newest attraction, a state of the art museum showcasing boats in the Lake District.
The £20million Windermere Jetty Museum will display 40 vessels which reflect the 200-year history of technical, social and business development in the area.
It's the first contemporary building to be constructed on the banks of Windermere in over 50 years.
Highlights of the collection will include:
- 11 vessels listed by National Historic Ships as nationally important
- Four vessels that are part of the National Historic Fleet
- 10 classic Windermere steam launches (1890s/1900s)
- A rare early yacht, Margaret (1780)SL Dolly (1850), thought to be the oldest mechanically powered boat in the world
- Beatrix Potter’s tarn boat, which she used to sketch in on Moss Eccles Tarn
- Pioneering motor, speedboats and hydroplanes used on the lake from 1898-1980 Canfly (1922), powered by a seven-litre Rolls Royce aero engine
- Two fully-restored boats on the lake, one of which visitors will be able to sail on when the museum opens
The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall received a rapturous welcome as they began a day marking the city's culture, history and people.Read the full story ›
Details of a visit by the Prince of Wales to Liverpool next week have been revealed.Read the full story ›
A motorist, who pulled the Duke of Edingburgh from his crashed car, said it was an "astonishing escape" and the royal is a "very brave man."Read the full story ›
Meghan and Harry were paying their respects to acclaimed First World War poet Wilfred Owen.Read the full story ›
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are visiting a new sculpture in Hamilton Square to mark 100th years since war poet Wilfred Owen's death.Read the full story ›
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to carry out their first official engagement of 2019 by visiting Birkenhead in Merseyside.Read the full story ›
From the Queen Mother to Prince Harry, they've all taken a Land Rover for a spin.Read the full story ›
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to carry out their first official engagement of the year by visiting Birkenhead in Merseyside.Read the full story ›
The Duke of Cambridge has met the mother of a young man who took his own life as he opened a centre for helping suicidal men.Read the full story ›