Dog dies in hob fire

A dog has died after accidentally switching on a hob and causing a fire.

Live updates

Kitchen destroyed after dog switches hob on

A dog has died in a house fire in Radcliffe. It's believed the 10-month-old Labradoodle called Alfie switched the hob on. The kitchen was destroyed in the blaze.

The kitchen was completely destroyed in the blaze. Credit: Adam McClean, ITV Granada
The dog died of smoke inhalation after the kitchen caught fire. Credit: Adam McClean, ITV Granada

Dog dies after accidentally switching on the hob and causing a fire at a Radcliffe house

A dog has died after accidentally switching on a hob and causing a fire at a house in Radcliffe.

It's believed that the dog jumped onto the cooker and caught the switch with its paw.

Firefighters attended the blaze on Sunday.

The resident had switched off the electrics in the kitchen and the fire had gone out when crews arrived. The dog was already deceased.

The kitchen of the house was damaged in the fire.

Several fish in a tank in the kitchen were also affected by the fire with some found deceased.

We began stripping away the worktops and used a Thermal Imaging Camera and other tools to check behind cupboards for any heat sources.

We also recovered as many valuable and important items as possible such as medication to help reduce the impact of the fire on the residents.

We checked the dog over but unfortunately there was nothing we could do.

– Firefighter Stewart Cottom, from Whitefield Fire Station

It's sad that somebody has lost their pet dog and fish as a result of this fire. Not only do the occupiers now face the emotional impact of the incident but they are also left with the financial cost of the damage to their home.

"Unfortunately, strange incidents such as a dog jumping up and knocking the switches to turn a hob on do happen and despite all of our prevention work, we can't hope to prevent all of these things from happening.

– Councillor David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority


Back to top