Manchester Arena terror attack

22 people have been killed and 59 have been injured in the blast at Manchester Arena. Children are among the dead. The attack was carried out by a lone male suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device. He died at the arena.

Live updates

WATCH: Memorial garden created for teenager killed in Manchester attack

A garden is being created in memory of Nell Jones, one of the victims of the Manchester Arena bombing.

Nell, who was 14, grew up in Holmes Chapel, in Cheshire, and attended Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School, where the garden is being created.

Nell's family says the support of the community will help them through their first Christmas without her.

  1. Amy Welch, Correspondent

WATCH: Teen injured in Manchester attack visits medical staff who saved her

A teenager from Wigan who was seriously injured in the Manchester attack has said a special thank you to the hospital staff who saved her.

18-year-old Lucy Jarvis has had more than 50 hours of surgery at Salford Royal hospital.

And she's been delivering a little bit of Christmas cheer to doctors and nurses there.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Government to only pay 'reasonable' costs spent in wake of Manchester in wake of terror attack

The Government's facing questions over the cost of the response to the Manchester bomb.

Ministers today pledged 12 million pounds to the city that asked for 17 million to pay for the emergency response to the attack at the Arena six months ago.

Earlier this week Theresa May responded to a question from Manchester Central MP Lucy Powell during PMQs, to say that she expected the majority of the money to be made available to city authorities by the end of this week.

We haven’t been trying it on, we’ve put together the evidence to back up our claim. Look at the books, this is what we’ve spent. If we don’t get it back we have to start cutting public services & that can’t be right. We shouldn’t have to plead for this money.

– Andy Burnham, Greater Manchester Mayor

We are absolutely committed to ensuring the victims of this terrible attack and Greater Manchester have all possible support.

We have given strong assurance Manchester will receive £12m. That includes £3m being paid now and a further £1m being made available to support the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

This is an ongoing process and the Government stands by its commitment to provide all necessary further assistance.

– Government Spokesperson

We were assured at the time of the Manchester Arena attack that the costs incurred by the city's public services as a result of that terrible event would be fully supported by government.

This still hasn't happened. While the government has gone some way towards addressing this, for example through a donation of £1m to meet the administrative costs of the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, their response is incomplete and inconclusive.

Manchester will continue to push to ensure that those costs are met in full so there is no knock-on effect on our budget for public services.

– Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council

Hearing into Arena attack.

A pre-inquest hearing into the deaths of the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena suicide bombing will be held later. The hearing will take place at Manchester Town Hall.,

St Ann's Square, days after the Arena terror attack Credit: pa

The inquests were opened and adjourned by HM Senior Coroner Nigel Meadows at Manchester Civil Justice Centre in June as brief summaries to the background circumstances of each of the fatalities from the May 22 atrocity were outlined.

None of the families of the deceased attended the opening which lasted just short of an hour and was preceded by a minute's silence.

A separate inquest is taking place into the death of bomber Salman Abedi, 22, which was also opened and adjourned in June. A further preliminary hearing of his inquest will take place at Manchester Town Hall on December 1.

WATCH: Choir who sang after Manchester terror attack to feature on new album

Now after the attack on the Arena few moments were as moving as when the children of Parrs Wood School sang on stage with Ariana Grande.

And they made such an impact on those who heard their young voices that they've now been invited to join other choirs on a new album.

  • They're also preparing to release a new charity single - Paul McCartney's 'We all Stand Together" Sarah Rogers went to meet them.
  • We spoke to James Hawkins who's produced the album to find out what what behind the idea.
Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports