Live updates


Five year old Harley astounds his medical team with his recovery, his running and his fund-raising

Harley has astounded his parents - here he is with his Dad Credit: Alder Hey

A little boy who was rushed to hospital unable to walk has become a charity fun runner following successful treatment at Alder Hey He was struck down by a rare condition ran his first 1km race less than six months after leaving hospital raising £300 for Alder Hey.

Harley Margerison, who's five, from Speke was admitted to Alder Hey in December just days before Christmas after a sore throat quickly developed into a condition, which prevented him from walking and talking.

Big brother Joseph helped to cheer Harley on Credit: Alder Hey

The family took him straight to A&E where he underwent brain scans, blood tests and an MRI, while medics worked through a process of elimination eventually determining Harley was suffering from Sydenham’s Chorea.

Sydenham’sChorea only affects a small number of children in the UK each year - usually girlsover five - it is extremely rare for a boy to be affected.

The condition is caused by a germ called streptococcus and often develops from a sore throat. The bacterium affects the area of the brain which controls movement, symptoms include a lack of coordination and balance causing jerking and falling.

After a course of antibiotics Harley was discharged on New Year’s Eve and was referred to the speech and language therapy and physiotherapy teams to help get him back on track.

He returned to school in January, but after a tumble in the classroom was brought back to hospital the day before his fifth birthday.

It started off with him being unwell, a bit like a winter cold, with a husky cough.

We took him to the doctor who thought it was a virus, but a week later he was slurring his speech and we couldn’t understand what he was saying.

He was walking like somebody who was really drunk and couldn’t control his legs.

He had a little fall and hit his face. We were worried that he’d miss his birthday party, but luckily he was allowed back home to celebrate.

When Harley was in hospital it affected Joseph a lot, the two of them are inseparable. He has been Harley’s cheerleader and motivator, he ran a little bit ahead of him in the race and would keep coming back to check how he was doing. Joseph is so supportive.

I ran with Harley - I thought he’d stop, but he just kept going. It was so hot, but he just kept saying ‘I can do this mummy, I believe in myself.’”

He was so happy when he got his medal, now he wants to do it all the time.”

Just a few months ago he couldn’t walk and now he’s running races.

He goes to swimming club every Friday. He’s just a boisterous five-year-old little boy who’s into everything.”

– Mum Claire Higgins

The infection also affected Harley’s heart causing him to develop a heart murmur and mitral regurgitation, where there is a leakage of blood backwards through the mitral valve each time the left ventricle in the heart contracts.

Harleywill need to take anti-biotics until he is 18 to ensure the infection doesn’treturn.

But despite his ongoing treatment Harley jumped at the chance to take part in the Liverpool Spring 1k run and raise funds for the doctors that had helped him, with the support of his big brother Joseph.

Harley still has some weakness and gets tired easily, but in time he will make a complete recovery.

It’s remarkable what he has achieved.

– Dr. Manveen Patil said: “

Harley is an incredible little boy. It’s an amazing achievement to have completed a 1km run such a short time after leaving hospital and we’re thrilled he chose to raise money for Alder Hey.

– Head of Community Fundraising Cath Harding

Harley has already completed his second 1km race for charity and is planning on taking part in his third race.

Alfie Evans' family heartbroken after gifts 'stolen from memorial tree'

An administrator from the Alfie's Army Facebook group says gifts seem to have been removed from a memorial tree for the toddler. Credit: Aflie's Army Facebook page

The family of Alfie Evans have been left heartbroken after gifts left at a memorial tree were stolen - according to supporters of the toddler.

Posting images of the tree near Alder Hey Children's Hospital, a member of the Alfie's Army Facebook group condemned the "extremely disrespectful act" and appealed for the tributes to be replenished.

"We admin are sorry to say we have been made aware of people stealing gifts left for Alfie at his memorial tree."

"Army members left various gifts for our beautiful fighter and this breaks not only our hearts, but Alfie's families hearts that some people have done this extremely disrespectful act," they said.

Alfie died at the Liverpool hospital on April 28 after a long legal battle over his life support treatment.

Alfie Evans' funeral to take place in Liverpool

Alfie Evans Credit: Family/GTV

The funeral of Alfie Evans is taking place in Liverpool later today.

The little boy died at Alder Hey Hospital after a long legal battle between his parents and medical staff over plans to withdraw his life support.

He died shortly before what would have been his second birthday after being treated for a degenerative brain disease.

He'll be laid to rest in a private ceremony later.

His parents have thanked the community for their support but are asking for privacy during the funeral.


Vigil for Alfie Evans to 'brighten up the world' on what would have been his second birthday

Alfie Evans life support was withdrawn after doctors said further treatment was futile Credit: Family picture

Supporters of Alfie Evans have organised a vigil to “brighten up the world” on what would have been his second birthday.

Family and friends along with members of ‘Alfie’s Army’ plan to light a candle to remember the 23 month old who was at the centre of a legal battle over his life support.

The vigil will be held in Springfield Park, next to Alder Hey Children's Hospital where Alfie died.

Alfie had suffered from an undiagnosed brain condition. His parents had wanted to take him abroad to Italy for further treatment - but doctors said further treatment was futile and his life support was withdrawn last month.

Supporters comforted outside Alder Hey after Alfie's death was announced Credit: PA

Alfie Evans: Parents and doctors to discuss sending toddler home

The father of Alfie Evans says his son has now survived for 3 days without ventilation.

The 23 month old's life support was withdrawn on Monday.

Tom Evans wants his son to be allowed home. He told reporters he's meeting officials at Liverpool's Alder Hey hospital later to discuss that possibility:

As I sit by Alfie's bedside, every second of every day, it encourages me more and more that Alfie will live.

Alfie lives comfortably, happily, without ventilation. That must be enough for you now to consider that Alfie may prove you wrong.

– Tom Evans

Lawyers representing Alder Hey Hospital bosses said the fact that he had continued to breathe unaided might have surprised members of the public but had not surprised specialists.

Barrister Michael Mylonas QC, who led Alder Hey's legal team, said it had never been suggested that Alfie would die as soon as life-support treatment stopped.

Load more updates