Cheshire Chief Fire office thanks officers for bringing fire at Chester Zoo under control.
All agencies worked hard to resolve this incident but naturally I am proud of the Firefighters that worked incredibly hard. They were faced with an escalating fire in a complex building whilst considering the safety of people and animals. Very complex incident - well managed. As a result all the Orangutans were saved and most of the building
A fire which began on a fishing boat in the West of the island last night was extinguished but the area is closed to the public.Read the full story ›
As firefighters in the North West tackle two major grass fires across Greater Manchester and Lancashire - they've asked the public's help.Read the full story ›
A group of firefighters from Oldham are swapping their engines for bicycles as they prepare for a 1600 mile bike ride for charity.
- Paul Crone reports:
Greater Manchester Firefighters have spoken out about the impact of having stones and bricks thrown at them when responding to incidents.Read the full story ›
This is the touching moment a tiny dog’s life was saved by firefighters.
Penny, a nine-year-old Jack Russell, was carried unconscious from a smoke-filled house in Gorton - then brought back to life on the road outside.
Heroic firefighters from Ashton-under-Lyne and Gorton fire stations were told Penny was trapped inside after the family who live there returned home to discover their home was filled with flames and thick smoke.
Crews in breathing equipment managed to find her in a downstairs room of the terrace house on Pinnington Road, curled up in a ball and unconscious.
The crews have done a really good job, in terms of locating Penny, rescuing her and resuscitating her. She went to the vet’s and the last update we had was that she was doing well and was on the good side. Hopefully she will make a full recovery.
Penny was found unconscious downstairs. She was treated with a standard adult oxygen mask and given oxygen therapy. She came round while fire crews were treating her and was taken to a vets by her owners.”
Firefighters have issued a stark reminder ahead of Bonfire Night to only call 999 in a real life emergency.
They say hoax calls and mindless anti-social behaviour can put lives at risk. They alsowant to remind people of the firework code and advise people to only attend an organised display, where possible.
- Matt Price's report contains flashing images.
Union officials are to hold urgent talks over fears that hundreds of firefighters in Greater Manchester could lose their jobs if they don't sign a new contract.
The fire authority says it has to cut millions of pounds and wants to find a compromise, the union says the situation is a disgrace.
It's been a busy night for our region's firefighters, they responded to hundreds of calls as thousands enjoyed bonfire night.Read the full story ›
Demolition work has started on the former Mr Smith's nightclub in Warrington after it was seriously damaged in a suspected arson last night.
Officers have now arrested eight people in connection with a fire including a 43-year-old man and seven teenagers.
More than 50 Firefighters spent the night battling the blaze and emergency services are still working now.