Live updates


Women killed in travel agents named as Cassie Hayes

Cassie Hayes Credit: Social media

A woman who was killed in a travel agents in Southport has been named as Cassie Hayes.

Officers were contacted at 1.25pm on Saturday following reports that a 28 year-old woman had been injured at the Tui travel agents on Chapel Street.

The woman was taken to hospital where she subsequently died from her injuries. Her next of kin have been informed.

A 30 year-old man from the St Helens area has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is currently being held in custody.

It is believed that the incident was domestic-related.

Friends have paid tribute to Cassie.

I'll never forget the time we had working together in that shop, we'd literally be crying with laughter and holding each other up at points, she had a wicked sense of humour and always that cheeky little smile, she helped make that job one of the best times of my life, sleep tight beautiful, heaven most definitely has gained an angel.

– Friend Gordon Campbell


Woman who murdered Jeremy Dickinson is jailed for life

Jeremy Dickinson was murdered at his home in Seacombe Credit: Merseyside police

A woman has been jailed for a minimum of 17-and-a-half years for killing a father at his home in Seacombe.

Lyndsey McCool, 37, of Whetstone Lane, Tranmere, murdered Jeremy Dickinson by a “blunt force trauma” to the head. She then stole money from Mr Dickinson before fleeing the scene.

Police discovered Mr Dickinson’s body at his home in Albemarle Road on March 28th and McCool was arrested the following day.

"Firstly, we'd like to express our deepest sympathy to the Dickinson family for the loss of Jeremy, who was a son, brother and father.

"This was a horrific attack carried out by McCool on Mr Dickinson in his own home, where had every right to feel safest.

"I would like to thank the family for their bravery and courage during the whole ordeal and also the professionalism of the officers involved in this investigation.

"The sentence McCool has been given is a reflection of the seriousness of the offence and ultimately nothing can bring Jeremy back, but today we hope the family can take some small comfort in the fact that justice has been served."

– Detective Inspector Paul Lamb

Man arrested over fatal stabbing of Shaun Murphy

Police were called to Greenbrow Road in the early hours of Saturday. Credit: MEN Syndication

Police have named a man who was stabbed to death in south Manchester as 38-year-old Shaun Murphy.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder late on Saturday night. He remains in custody for questioning.

I have a large team investigating Shaun’s murder and this morning we arrested a 23-year-old man. This investigation is still in it’s early stages and we are continuing to follow a number of lines of enquiry.

Our investigation does not finish there however, so I am still appealing for anyone who may have any information that could help us to get in touch.

Any information, no matter how small could be vital to our investigation.

– Detective Chief Inspector Jane Higham, Greater Manchester Police

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 8797, or alternatively call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Load more updates