Live updates

PHOTO ALBUM: GMP Remembers Nicola and Fiona

The community remembers fallen PCs Fiona Bone & Nicola Hughes Credit: ITV Granada Reports
Crowds gather outside Hyde Police Station Credit: ITV Granada Reports
Police colleagues from across the region pay their respects Credit: ITV Granada Reports
Remembering Nicola and Fiona outside Hyde Police station Credit: ITV Granada Reports
Officers brave the rain to remember their murdered colleagues Credit: ITV Granada Reports


Anniversary of murder of PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes

PC Fiona Bone Credit: GMP
PC Nicola Hughes Credit: GMP

A minute's silence will be held at every police station across Greater Manchester today, to mark the one year anniversary of the deaths of two policewomen.

PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes were shot dead by Dale Cregan when they were responding to a hoax burglary call. He was jailed for life in June.

Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, Sir Peter Fahey said

“Today marks the one year anniversary since the day that shocked a nation, when our two dear colleagues, PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes, were callously killed in cold blood as they attended what they believed was just a routine incident.

The deaths of these two highly-valued officers was a huge tragedy for their families, close colleagues and GMP, but also had an immense impact on the local community in Hattersley and country as a whole.

The families of these two young women have shown incredible dignity as they have had to deal with their grief in the public spotlight, but they have also found great courage in the tremendous displays of support from members of the public.

People may never know how much both we and the families appreciated this.

Today, we think of the families of Fiona and Nicola, of their friends and colleagues and the people of Hattersley.

We remember our two young officers, who had their whole lives ahead of them but were taken cruelly from us doing the job they loved. We will never forget their great sacrifice."


Cregan to spend life behind bars

One-eyed police killer Dale Cregan is set to die in prison with a whole life sentence for murdering four people in Greater Manchester after his long-running trial came to an end.

Cregan, 30, had previously pleaded guilty during the trial to killing policewomen Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, and father and son David Short, 46, and Mark Short, 23, last year.

He also admitted the attempted murders of three others and causing an explosion with a hand-grenade.

A jury at Preston Crown Court found him not guilty of one remaining count of attempted murder involving a grenade attack on Sharon Hark, which he denied.

Load more updates