Revellers at Europe's largest street festival enjoyed sunshine, booming sound systems and a peaceful end to Notting Hill Carnival.

Although there were spots of rain during the afternoon the weather was mainly sunny and warm, with hundreds of thousands of people flocking to the capital to join the party's headline event on Bank Holiday Monday.

They enjoyed the float parade, danced in the streets and admired striking costumes under the gaze of an additional 2,000 police officers drafted in for the Caribbean-inspired festival, bringing the total to 7,000.

The festivities remained largely peaceful yesterday.

As Ria Chatterjee reports, Police made 152 arrests, mainly for drug and public order offences, as well as robbery and assault:

The number was in line with expectations, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said, as on Bank Holiday Monday last year there were 172 arrests.

The total number of arrests during the two-day event provisionally stands at around 250.

A group of people were detained at Kings Cross underground station yesterday afternoon to prevent them from travelling to Notting Hill.

Police said they suspected the 36 individuals - all males, of whom nineteen were aged under 18 - were believed to have been travelling by train from north London and heading to the carnival to cause trouble.

Fifteen members of the group were arrested to prevent a breach of the peace and last night were being detained to stop them from potentially causing disorder at the carnival.

Police dealt with a number of serious incidents during the festivities.

On Sunday a 20-year-old man was left in a serious but stable condition after being stabbed in the back and buttocks in Ladbroke Grove.

The Met said a 14-year-old boy was slashed with a sharp object in Golborne Gardens.

And a 16-year-old girl was also treated but discharged herself from hospital after sustaining what police described as a superficial leg wound in Wornington Road.

Three men were also stabbed in a fight in North Pole Road - close by but outside the carnival's footprint.

Scotland Yard said two men were arrested and one was left in a critical condition.

Forensic officers continued to inspect the scene yesterday.