Information for students concerned about visa licensing issues

London Metropolitan University. Credit: PA

More than 2,000 students at London Metropolitan University could face ejection from the country after the Government stripped it of its right to admit foreigners.

The university has had its Highly Trusted Status for sponsoring international students revoked and will no longer be allowed to authorise visas.

So what does that mean for students?

London Metropolitan University has set up a hotline for those affected (tel: 020 7133 4141) and a government-led task force is also being established.

The UK Border Agency issued the following statement:

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has also explained how students might be affected by university visa licencing issues. Here is some of the information they are offering:

  • If you have already paid a deposit to the institution which has had its sponsor licence withdrawn you will need to contact them directly to request any refund you are entitled to. You should not attempt to enter the UK on this visa.

  • If your institution has closed the UKBA will write to you and shorten your leave. Make sure the UKBA always has your current address.

  • Your permission to stay will be shortened to 60 days from the date on the letter from the UKBA. You must leave the UK or find an alternative institution within that time.

For more information go to the UKCISA website.