Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Filthy restaurant shut down as inspectors find dead rat

Health inspectors have forced a Vietnamese restaurant in east London to close after finding a dead rat under the cooker and droppings spread around the kitchen.

Credit: Hackney Council

Environmental Health Officers carried out a routine inspection of Cu Tu in Dalston last Friday and found:

Credit: Hackney Council
  • Rat droppings on the floor, on food packaging and shelving
  • Gnawed packaging and scraps of nesting material
  • The kitchen was filthy with encrusted dirt and grime
Credit: Hackney Council

This is a serious breach of hygiene standards that puts any Hackney resident eating there at risk. Hackney's environmental health officers make regular spot checks and when they find evidence like this they will take immediate action to protect the public.

Hackney Council will now work with the business to ensure to ensure standards of cleanliness and hygiene are met before it can open its doors again.

– Gifty Edila, Hackney Council

Cu Tu was ordered to pay Hackney Council £620 in court costs and will stay closed until the council is satisfied the risk to the public is removed.