Londoners would be much happier with a gay mayor than a Muslim mayor, according to a new opinion poll by LBC Radio.
The survey reveals almost a third of Londoners would be uncomfortable with a mayor who was a Muslim.
The YouGov polls shows former Labour Olympics minister Dame Tessa Jowell is still front runner to replace Boris Johnson at City Hall in 2016.
Dame Tessa would beat Tory favourite Zac Goldsmith, the MP for Richmond Park.
Voters from all parties also back her in the contest to be Labour's candidate.
- The poll shows 42% of Londoners think Dame Tessa would be the best Labour candidate
- Tooting MP Sadiq Khan has the backing of 21%, Diane Abbott 16%, David Lammy 12% with Gareth Thomas and Christian Wolmar on just 4%
- In a battle between Labour and Conservative, 53% of Londoners would back Jowell while 47% prefer Goldsmith
- The poll reveals 31% of Londoners would be uncomfortable with a Muslim mayor, while 55% would be comfortable
- By contrast, 71% would be comfortable if the mayor was homosexual, compared to 16% who would be uncomfortable
YouGov questioned more than 1,100 adult Londoners.