1. ITV Report

Jilted lover jailed for life over murder of housemate who had secret relationship with former girlfriend

A jilted lover who stabbed his housemate to death believing he was involved in a relationship with a former girlfriend has been sentenced to life imprisonment.

Bernardas Petreikis, a Lithuanian national, 23 of Shrewsbury Road, Bounds Green, was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Bernardas Petreikis was sentenced to life in jail. Credit: Met Police

He was told he would serve a minimum of 22 years for stabbing Mantas Augenas of the same address, moments after being told that his former partner had started a secret relationship with the 35-year-old.

He was found guilty of murder on at the Old Bailey.

The court heard how on the evening of August 30 last year Petreikis, his girlfriend Elianna Podlesnaja, and Mantas Augenas had been socialising in the garden of the home they all shared in north London.

Bernardas Petreikis killed his housemate, Mantas Augenas, in a fit of rage after being informed that his former partner was in a relationship with the victim.

Mr Augenas had been sleeping in his room and had no opportunity to defend himself against Petreikis.

Mr Augenas was a husband and a father. The vicious attack inflicted upon him by Petreikis has devastated his family and has deprived his child of her loving father.

– Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Piscopo, of the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC)

Petreikius asked to speak to Elianna at the front of the house before he demanded to know if she had started a relationship with Mr Augenas.

She admitted that they were together before Petreikius walked back through the front door and locked Ms Podlesnaja out on the street.

She was able to see through the glass of the front door as Petreikius entered the kitchen.

He opened the knife drawer and walked into Mr Augenas' bedroom on the ground floor.

When Petreikius eventually allowed Ms Podlesnaja back into the property she discovered Mr Augenas had been stabbed in the chest and back multiple times.

He collapsed on his bed and died from his injuries before he reached hospital.

Petreikius fled the property but was quickly located and arrested by police in a nearby park.

He was charged with murder in August 2015.