• Video report by ITV News correspondent Juliet Bremner

Two men have handed themselves into police over an incident which sparked chaos at Oxford Circus tube station and caused hundreds of people to flee in panic.

Armed police were deployed to the area on Friday afternoon after reports of gunshots.

Several people were injured in the rush to evacuate, with nine of those taken to hospital.

British Transport Police (BTP) issued pictures of two men they wished to speak to on Saturday, which led to two individuals, 21 and 40, voluntarily attending a police station.

They are currently being interviewed, the force said in an update.

At the time, the Metropolitan Police said they were responding "as if the incident is terrorist related".

But within two hours the response was wound down after the Metropolitan Police said there was no evidence of any shots fired and no suspects or casualties located.

Police said there was a "significant level of panic" on Oxford Street and at Oxford Circus Tube station as witnesses said they heard shots.

Pictures and videos on social media showed crowds of people running away from the underground entrance.

People were evacuated from part of Oxford Street. Credit: Jasmine Kubski

One woman received a minor injury in the crush as the station was evacuated, police said.

Paramedics treated a number of people who suffered injuries in the rush to leave the tube station.

Seven patients were discharged at the scene and nine others were taken to hospital, London Ambulance Service said.

In a statement British Transport Police said police were alerted at 4.37pm to reports of gunfire on the westbound Central Line platform at Oxford Circus.

The statement said: "Passengers at the station then self-evacuated the station onto Oxford Circus and Regent Street area of London.

"This caused a significant level of panic which resulted in numerous calls from members of the public reporting gunfire."

"Officers responded in line with our procedures of a terrorist incident.

"A full and methodical search of the station and Oxford Street was conducted by officers."

Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations were reopened at approximately 6pm and police said that the response was stood down.

Chief Superintendent Martin Fry said: "Thank you to everyone for bearing with us this evening and also to colleagues from all the emergency services who helped carry out a swift response.

"Our officers, alongside those from the MPS, reacted quickly and responded professionally in line with our well prepared plans."