13-year-old schoolboy with dairy allergy died after 'cheese was thrown down t-shirt', inquest hears

. Credit: .

A 13-year-old boy with a severe allergy to dairy died after he was "chased with cheese and had it thrown down his t-shirt" at his school, an inquest heard.

Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, suffered a serious allergic reaction and was left "gasping for air" in Greenford, West London, in June last year.

Karan was severely allergic to all dairy products, wheat, gluten, nuts and eggs.

The youngster was also asthmatic and suffered from atopic eczema.

He went into anaphylactic shock at William Perkin Church of England High School in Greenford, west London.

Karan with his mum Rina. Credit: SWNS

Kieran Oppatt, the first paramedic to arrive at the scene on June 28 last year told St Pancras coroner's court that the unconscious teenager's condition had dramatically deteriorated.

Mr Oppatt told the hearing the 999 operator was told it was "just an allergic reaction" but when he arrived Karan was struggling to breathe.

The paramedic said: "I immediately knew it was life threatening and that the patient had a high risk of going into cardiac and respiratory arrest."

"We were told by school staff that perhaps someone had chased the patient with cheese and had proceeded to throw it down his t-shirt."

The young boy was unconscious and stopped breathing shortly after Mr Oppatt and his colleague arrived.

The paramedic continued: "He appeared to be in a state of pre-arrest. He had very slow respiration - he was gasping for air."

"His skin was red and there appeared to be hives."

Karan, was a bright 'sweet' boy who enjoyed playing football and also attended karate classes the court heard. Credit: SWNS

"Staff had administered two spoons of piriton, an epipen and given him his inhaler."

Realising the severity of the situation, Mr Oppatt knew he had to call for help but had to go outside because his radio could not get reception.

"I went to the vehicle and called the communications centre and informed them that our patient was in cardiac and respiratory arrest. And that I required the assistance of an advanced paramedic and additional crews at the job."

"I was in the process of drawing up inter-muscular adrenaline when I was informed by my colleague that Karan had stopped breathing," Mr Oppatt said.

Karanbir suffered the allergic reaction at school. Credit: SWNS

The pair began to perform CPR on Karan, gave him adrenaline and Mr Oppatt used a defibrillator while they waited for back up to arrive.

Oppat said "From there I turned around and took his shirt off and placed the defibrillator pads on his chest."

When additional crews arrived, Karan was taken on a stretcher to the ambulance and was unconscious throughout.

He died with his parents by his hospital bed in Great Ormond Street Hospital ten days later on July 9.

Karan's mother Rina Cheema, a qualified accountant, his two brothers and sister were at court today.

Karanbir Cheema with mum his mum Rina Cheema. Credit: SWNS

Speaking outside St Pancras Coroners Court Rina, 52, said the family "want answers".

Karan's mother added: "I am devastated as a mother after losing my son and my family have lost their brother.

"He was a very, very bright young boy.

"He was so bright he could have been anything he wanted. I brought him up by myself.

"I trained him to read all about his condition."