1. ITV Report

Extinction Rebellion activists defy police order to end protests across London

Extinction Rebellion protest action is continuing in London despite police ordering activists to end their gatherings across the capital or risk arrest.

On Tuesday morning, the group's co-founder, Gail Bradbrook, was filmed climbing the entrance to the Department for Transport in Westminster.

Extinction Rebellion said other protesters had glued themselves to the building. It said activists were calling on the Government to explain its plan to meet a net-zero emissions target within the carbon budget of the UK.

Extinction Rebellion's co-founder Gail Bradbrook outside the Department for Transport

The protesters' latest actions came after the Metropolitan Police imposed an order stating any protest in the capital must end by 9pm on Monday. The force said this was to "prevent serious disruption to the life of the community".

On Monday evening, activists were cleared from Trafalgar Square, where many had lawfully congregated for the past week. In response to the police action, an Extinction Rebellion statement said its "rebels" would take "a moment to pause and remember why we are here".

It added: "Extinction Rebellion will let the Trafalgar Square site go tonight. "The International Rebellion continues."

On Twitter, XR's London branch labelled the clearing of protesters from the square as "an outrage".

It also tweeted: "Today, an unprecedented, political, decision has been taken to shut down peaceful protest calling out the government for inaction in the face of crisis."

As of 5pm on Monday, police said there had been 1,445 arrests in connection with the eight days of XR protests in London.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor said conditions were being imposed on protesters due to "continued breaches" of previous police orders and "ongoing serious disruption to the community".

We have made significant progress in managing Extinction Rebellion's activity at sites across central London over this past week. Officers have begun the process of clearing Trafalgar Square and getting things back to normal.

– Deputy Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor, Met Police