Advertisement

Firefighters rescue tortoise after it sets own bedding on fire on Christmas Day

Firefighters in Essex left their families on Christmas Day to go and rescue a tortoise who had knocked over a lamp and set its own bedding on fire.

The 45-year-old reptile was rescued by crews in Dutton Hill, near Stansted Airport.

The tortoise is believed to have knocked over a heat lamp, which set fire to its bedding.

Neighbours called the fire service after hearing fire alarms going off in the home.

Luckily, on-call firefighters arrived on time to save the tortoise, and wished him a merry Christmas before returning home.

Essex Fire Service posted on Twitter: "This 45 year old tortoise might look angry but it's his lucky day.

"After he set his bedding alight his neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called us.

"Our on-call crews left their families to go extinguish the fire and gave him a very merry Christmas."