Fewer commuters used the Tube network during this morning’s rush but some were openly critical of Transport for London’s handling of the coronavirus crisis.

TfL said the number of passengers travelling dropped a further 13% compared to yesterday and bus use was down 8%.

That represents a drop of 92% on this time last year.

Passengers used Twitter to call for more trains and more help from TfL staff to manage social distancing.

Mayor Sadiq Khan defended TfL, saying one in three workers were sick or self-isolating and the organisation was unable to run more trains.

Rail operator GTR is suspending the Gatwick Express from Monday because fewer passengers are using the airport.

The firm said the move would free up staff to work on Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink trains.

In this national emergency, we and the rest of the rail industry are doing everything we can to keep essential services running for key workers on whom we all depend. These changes will release our staff to concentrate their efforts on keeping these essential services running. Thameslink and Southern trains will continue to serve Gatwick.

STEVE WHITE, CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, GTR

Our clear message to Londoners is not to travel. The network is for critical workers only and this has reduced journeys on the Tube by over 92 per cent. Early data from this morning indicates that Tube travel is down by a further 13 per cent compared to yesterday and bus journeys are also down by eight per cent. We have further reduced journeys by construction workers by temporarily stopping all work on TfL and Crossrail construction sites. The majority of people are playing their part and avoiding travel, but more people need to stop travelling immediately to save lives.

Andy Lord, Managing Director of the London Underground