West Ham identify two fans after alleged attack on German commentators at Europa League match

West Ham lost their first European semi-final for 46 years on Thursday night in a 2-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt. Credit: PA

West Ham officials say they have identified two fans following an alleged attack on German radio presenters during Thursday night's match against Eintracht Frankfurt.

ARD presenters Tim Brockmeier and Philipp Hofmeister were reporting on the match when Brockmeier interrupted the live commentary to say a West Ham fan had suddenly ripped off his headset and threw it to the ground, Bild reported.

A club spokesperson said on Friday afternoon: "Following a thorough internal investigation since the full-time whistle last night, West Ham United can confirm two offenders have been identified.

"As well as continuing our own investigation, in line with our zero-tolerance approach, the offenders details have also been passed onto the police, who will now conduct their own investigation.

"If the offenders are found guilty, they will be given an indefinite ban and not be permitted to enter London Stadium, nor travel with the Club. Behaviour of this kind is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at West Ham United."

West Ham United's Jarrod Bowen (right) in action during the UEFA Europa League semi-final, first leg match on Thursday Credit: PA

"We're being attacked here," Hofmeister reportedly told fans shortly after the German side equalised. "They threw the headset down on my colleague Tim."

He continued: "I have to sort myself out a bit. We have to see that we can get some security personnel here."

The pair were then assisted by security staff who moved them to another part of the stadium at half time.

A Met Police spokesperson said: "We are aware of reports that during the match, two radio journalists were assaulted by fans seated behind them. Such behaviour is unacceptable and has no place in football stadiums.

"We have a close working relationship with all London clubs and we welcome the statement issued by West Ham about this incident.

"Our officers will be working with the club in the coming days to determine what took place and to identify anyone involved so that appropriate action can be taken."

During the live broadcast Hofmeister told fans: "You constantly have the feeling that something could come from behind, a punch or something. My dreams of English football have been shattered.”

Hofmeister laster tweeted his best wishes to West Ham fans, saying: "We are doing okay. Best wishes to all West Ham supporters who love football and respect their opponents."

"The club is aware of the incident and will be working to identify the offender," West Ham said in an initial statement.

"In line with our zero-tolerance approach, anyone identified will have their details passed to the police. They will be given an indefinite ban and be unable to enter London Stadium and travel with the club. There is no place for this kind of behaviour."

The incident cast a shadow over West Ham's first European semi-final for 46 years.

The London team suffered a 2-1 defeat, with manager David Moyes admitting his side failed to show enough quality and were left to rue defensive errors.

Eintracht stunned West Ham to take the lead inside the first minute through Ansgar Knauff’s header. Michail Antonio levelled the tie 20 minutes later.

However, the visitors retook the lead in the second half through Daichi Kamada.

"We’ve got a lot to do," Moyes admitted after the game. "We’ve got to show a lot more quality than we did tonight.

"We didn’t show enough quality, especially in the final third when we had moments to do so and a couple of times we turned off, obviously for the goals.

"So, a lot of those things will need to brighten up and be better."