Ealing woman, 24, dies four years after eating peanut at Southall restaurant

The student from Ealing had been first diagnosed with the deadly nut allergy in 1998

A young woman with a serious peanut allergy has died after suffering an anaphylactic shock in West London.

Tania Kaur Khasriya had been dining in a restaurant in Southall in July 2018 when she ate a peanut and passed away four years later after never regaining consciousness.

The 24-year-old student from Ealing had been first diagnosed with the deadly nut allergy in 1998, when she was only a year old.

Opening her inquest at West London Coroners Court, Coroner Lydia Brown said: "She had an anaphylactic shock to eating a peanut in a restaurant in July 2018 and has since suffered a disorder of consciousness."

She was immediately taken to Ealing Hospital, but after her condition failed to improve and she was relocated to Chalfont Lodge Nursing Centre in Buckinghamshire.

The centre is a purpose built residential and nursing care facility that provides help for people with neurological conditions, physical disabilities and dementia.

Palliative care was withdrawn in April and Tania passed away on April 27, 2022.

Calling it a "complex inquiry", the Coroner adjourned the inquest to a further date.

The hearing will examine reports from the palliative care consultant at the care home, as well as reports provided to the London Ambulance Service of the original anaphylactic shock.

Peanuts are a common cause of food allergy, with around 2% of children affected in the UK.

According to the charity website Anaphylaxis Campaign, hospital admissions for food allergies have increased by 500 per cent since 1990 and up to 20 per cent of patients struggle daily with the fear of a possible asthma attack or anaphylactic shock.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...