Man tasered on Chelsea Bridge was carrying a firelighter, says police watchdog

Oladeji Adeyemi Omishore from Pimlico, South West London.

A man who died after apparently jumping from a bridge having been tasered by police was carrying a firelighter, a watchdog has said.

Oladeji Adeyemi Omishore was initially reported to have a screwdriver when police officers were called to Chelsea Bridge in west London on June 4.

Footage of the incident posted on social media showed the 41-year-old being tasered before running over to the side of the bridge and jumping over the barrier into the River Thames.

On Tuesday, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which is investigating what happened, said he had been carrying a plastic and metal firelighter.

The watchdog also confirmed Mr Omishore’s name for the first time, although he had previously been identified by neighbours and an inquest into his death was opened and adjourned on June 15.

This video contains distressing images

Video from Twitter/@CRIMELDN

IOPC regional director Sal Naseem said: “Our thoughts remain with Mr Omishore’s family and all of those affected by his death. We continue to liaise with his family and to keep them updated on the progress of our independent investigation.

'It is important we understand the circumstances'

“Our investigators continue to gather and analyse key evidence, including footage recorded at the scene and initial accounts from officers and members of the public.

“We would urge anyone else who may have witnessed or recorded any part of the incident, either on the bridge or after Mr Omishore entered the river, to get in touch with us without delay.

“It is important we understand all of the circumstances surrounding his death.”

A post-mortem examination was carried out on June 13 and IOPC investigators are waiting for a pathologist’s report to give cause of death.

The IOPC said: “We have confirmed Mr Omishore was holding a plastic and metal firelighter when he was approached by two officers on Chelsea Bridge.

“The initial report to police stated he had a screwdriver.

“A Taser was discharged by one of the officers prior to the man entering the river. It has been confirmed the Taser was discharged more than once.”

Anyone with information can contact the IOPC on 0300 3035579 or email

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...