Live updates

We nearly switched off his life-support, now our son is starting school

Five years ago Richard and Kelly Grahame made one of the toughest decisions any parent could have to make and agreed to turn off their son's life support machine. Doctors at Great Ormond Street told them their four-week-old baby Harrison wouldn't survive treatment for group B streptococcus and meningitis. But on the day they were due to say goodbye - Harrison fought back. He made a full recovery and - five years on - is about to start school.


'Great burden lifted' by payout for hospital glue mix up

Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children NHS Trust admitted liability for Maisha's injuries and repeated its apology for the shortcomings in her care.

We can't wind the clock back. We hope there are now systems and procedures in place to ensure such a tragic mistake cannot be made again.

While money can't restore what Maisha has lost, we are sure a great burden has been lifted from the family by coming to the settlement we have.

It is probably the most intensive cognitive rehabilitation we have ever seen by a family and we would wish to acknowledge everything they have done for Maisha and wish them well for the future.

– Neil Block, Solicitor

'All girl's dreams broken' by hospital's glue mix-up

Speaking outside court today Maisha's father, from Ilford in Essex said:

We are sad and devastated by what happened to our daughter. Her life is ruined. All her dreams have been broken.

I hope that by bringing this case, lessons will have been learned to avoid this happening to other families.

We are grateful that agreement has been reached with Great Ormond Street to ensure that Maisha's care needs are met.

Payout for girl whose brain was injected by mistake with glue

A girl whose brain was injected by mistake with glue at Great Ormond Street Hospital has been awarded millions of pounds in damages. Despite having a medical condition which meant her arteries and veins getting got tangled Maisha Najeeb was a healthy 10-year-old.

In June 2010 she went into hospital for treatment to block off bleeding blood vessels by injecting glue. A second injection of dye then checks the flow of blood around the brain.

Lawyers found there was no system in place for distinguishing between the syringes and they got mixed up. This meant the glue was wrongly injected into the artery to Maisha's brain. It caused catastrophic and permanent brain damage.


Toddler set to leave hospital for first time

A three-year old who has spent her entire life in hospital will get to go home for the first time after this weekend, after spending her entire life in Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Maisie Harris suffers from Ondine's Curse, a disease which means her brain forgets to remind her body to breathe.

After she leave the hospital on Monday, she will be able to sleep in her own bed for the first time using a new ventilator to help her breathe.

The hospital held a going-home party for her yesterday on Miffy Ward to celebrate her bravery and wish her well as she spends her last weekend in the hospital she has always called home.

Celebrities join in charity run for Great Ormond Street Hospital

Olympic gold medalist Denise Lewis with runners in today's RBC Race For The Kids for GOSH Credit: ITV London

Well-known faces from the world of entertainment, sport and politics including Gabby and Kenny Logan, Denise Lewis,and Dan Lobb joined families and friends to complete the RBC Race for the Kids 5k fun run in Battersea Park to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity.

Family members of all ages took part Credit: ITV London

The race also saw the Mayor of Wandsworth Angela Graham start the event where 4,000 fun runners - including Great Ormond Street Hospital patients and families - took part with the aim of raising funds for the much-needed redevelopment of the famous children's hospital.

The 5k run raised vital funds Credit: ITV London

The ambitious programme to rebuild two thirds of the hospital will give everyone the space they need, making cramped, outdated wards a thing of the past.

Load more updates