Live updates

WWII bomb found in Wembley has been detonated

The Luftwaffe Sprengbombe-Cylindrisch bomb found at the site Credit: British Army/Sgt Rupert Frere RLC

A Second World War bomb has been removed from a site in north London and blown up.

The studio where Britain's Got Talent is filmed was evacuated following the discovery, along with around 300 homes, as the Army worked on the device near Wembley Stadium. It was taken outside the capital for the detonation.

The 50kg bomb, dropped during Nazi air raids in the early 1940s, was unearthed by builders working near the stadium yesterday afternoon.

The Army warned of a "genuine risk to life" as homes and businesses, including Fountain Studios, were evacuated.


How many bombs fell on London during WWII?

The unexploded wartime bomb found in Wembley is the second found in the capital in three months.

In March, one was was found in Bermondsey.

But given the number of bombs that fell on London during the height of the Blitz, is it that surprising?

The Bombsight project has an interactive map which attempts to mark the locations of as many as possible of the bombs dropped from 1940 to 1941.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Weekend games unaffected by unexploded bomb

Wembley Stadium has said matches scheduled to take place at the stadium this weekend will go ahead - despite the presence of an unexploded bomb nearby.

In League Two, Wycombe Wanderers are due to take on Southend in the play-off for a place in League One on Saturday.

Swindon will face Preston in the League One play-off final on Sunday.


WW2 bombs found at Old Chapel

A number of houses have been evacuated after an unexploded World War Two bomb was found in the grounds of a school.

The ammunition device was discovered at the Old Chapel in Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School in St Mary’s Lane, Upminster around 8am this morning.

Firefighters and police were called to the scene.

Road closures are also in place in Highview Gardens and Norfolk Road.

The discovery comes just three weeks after 22 unexploded bombs were unearthed on the site by workmen.