Live updates

Lorry smashes into a florist in Upminster

A lorry has crashed through a florist in Upminster - reducing the entire shop front to rubble.

The crash happened just before 3pm this afternoon near the junction of Upminster Road and Norfolk Road. The lorry is still stuck there now - and London Fire Brigade said they expect to be at the scene well into the evening.

Ten people were evacuated from neighboring shops but miraculously no-one was seriously injured. The lorry driver suffered only minor injuries and did not need hospital treatment.

Police say they haven't made any arrests and it's suspected the driver lost control while travelling over Upminster Bridge.


Motorcyclist dies following collision in Upminster

Police are appealing for information and witnesses to come forward after a motorcyclist died in a collision with a van at St Mary's Lane junction in Upminster.

Police were called to the scene at 17:05 yesterday to find a 32-year-old man suffering serious injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 17:54.

Next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem examination is due be held.

The driver of the van has been spoken to by police. No arrests have been made.

Upminster traffic collision

Police are appealing for information following a serious traffic collision in Upminster.

Officers were called to the eastbound slip road off the A127 in the early hours of this morning following reports of a collision involving a black Renault Clio and a lamppost.

The 18-year-old male driver was taken to an east London hospital with serious head and chest injuries. His condition has been described as critical.The driver of another car that had stopped at the scene was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and then bailed, pending further investigation.

Witnesses are asked to call 020 8597 4874 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Father killed as car mounts pavement

Police are appealing for witnesses after a father was killed and his 9 year old son injured when a card mounted a pavement near a school in Upminster yesterday.

The incident happened at just after 3.30pm on St Mary's Lane, near Sacred Heart of Mary Girls' School.

The 48 year old died at the scene. The 9 year old suffered minor injuries and was treated at Queen's Hospital in Romford.

A 75 year old man driving a Ford Fiesta was involved in the collision. He is in a stable condition at an east London hospital.


Body reburied following post-mortem

The body of Lee Balkwell has been reburied this morning, after being exhumed for a post-mortem examination.

Detective Inspector Janine Farrell, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said:

"We will now await the full post-mortem report and will then be assessing the results to see how they can help inform the next steps in our investigation.

"Our enquiries are continuing and we remain open to all hypotheses regarding Lee’s death and if anyone has any information regarding the death of Lee Balkwell, no matter how trivial they consider it, even after all this time, they should contact my team on 01634 884033.

"This is a confidential line, where people can leave a message for my officers who will get back to them."

  1. Anglia

Body exhumed in new police investigation

The body of Lee Balkwell has been exhumed from a cemetery in Essex

A man's body has been exhumed from a cemetery in Essex as part of a new investigation into his death. The body of Lee Balkwell was found trapped under a cement mixer in Upminster in July 2002.

The original police investigation found his death was accidental. But, last year, the Independent Police Complaints Commission found the inquiry was "seriously flawed".

  1. Anglia

Body of man who died in Essex cement mixer to be exhumed

The body of a man who died in a cement mixer in Essex is to be exhumed by detectives investigating his death. Lee Balkwell, who was 33, died in July 2002. His body was found inside a cement mixer lorry on a farm track in Upminster.

Lee Balkwell died in July 2002

Lee's body will now be exhumed as part of an ongoing investigation by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate. The initial investigation by Essex police lasted just 19 days and concluded his death was an accident. An inquest in 2008 recorded a verdict of unlawful killing by gross negligence.

Last year the Independent Police Complaints Commission published a report saying the initial investigation by Essex Police was "seriously flawed." Last month the Balkwell family filed a High Court claim against Essex police alleging the investigation breached human rights law.

Five people arrested on suspicion of corporate manslaughter remain on police bail.

Load more updates