Live updates

Man jumps from escalator at Victoria station after 16 hour stand-off with police

A man has jumped from an escalator at Victoria Station following a 16 hour standoff with police.

British Transport Police have confirmed the man jumped from the escalator and suffered head injuries.

Police used an air cushion to break the man’s fall before he was taken to hospital.

Specialist negotiators spent the day engaging with the man and working to bring him to a place of safety.


Victoria station jobseeker is now hiring

A marketing graduate who landed his dream job after holding up a placard at Victoria station has gone back to the same spot to give others a helping hand.

22 year old Alfred Ajani posted the before and after picture on Twitter under the heading "Same spot - different sign". The picture has been re-tweeted hundreds of times and he has been inundated with requests for jobs on the social media site.

Mr Ajani landed a job at a recruitment company in the capital after holding up the original placard in August. He told ITV London at the time that, like many young graduates, he had struggled to find work after university - but the response to his unusual job advert had been "much better than expected", with even the offer of a position in Barcelona.

Delays spread to London Bridge station

First Capital Connect says trains between London Bridge and East Croydon are being delayed by up to 20 minutes because of an earlier problem at London Victoria.


'Total mayhem' at Victoria Station

Commuters are describing Victoria Station as 'mayhem' after the suspension of services earlier caused major delays.

Services to and from Victoria station were put on hold ahead of rush hour as police and the fire brigade dealt with the due to a ruptured gas cylinder near Battersea Power Station.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said:

"Police were called to Battersea Power Station, Cringle Street, at 3.17pm after a suspected industrial gas canister was found.

"No residents have been evacuated. Trains are now running again. London Fire Brigade continue to work with police on scene to make the device safe. Road closures are in effect."

'Hazard zone' of 25 metres around gas leak

Load more updates