Advertisement

Carpet cleaner dies after electrocution in Putney house

A carpet cleaner was found dead slumped over a chaise longue after he was electrocuted while working in a badly-wired house, an inquest has heard.

Diyan Hristov, 22, was working in an upstairs bedroom at a Victorian terraced home in Putney, southwest London when he was killed by a 230 volt shock.

The Bulgarian was discovered near his carpet cleaning machine and a pedal fan, which were both still running. Westminster Coroners Court heard that the appliances were not faulty but poor wiring could have led to the exposed metal on either device becoming live.

Homeowner Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry said he was stunned when subsequent tests identified serious problems with the wiring in the house. "The wiring was deemed unsatisfactory and a partial rewiring was recommended", he said.