The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Seven-year-old Joel Urhie died at his family home in Deptford following an arson attack.
A drug dealer has been jailed for 18 months after 70kg of cocaine, cash and a gun were discovered at a property in Romford.
The death of university student Libby Squire is being treated as a "potential homicide", police have said.