The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The proposed £15 fee for older more polluting vehicles is part a plan for the world's first ultra-low emission zone at an airport.
Four white lions have been moved into a new habitat at Paradise Wildlife Park
The bodies of a man and a woman, both in their late sixties, were found at their home at Adair Tower.