The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
A Hamsptead mum who is in jail in Iran has ended a hunger strike after three days.
Their pleas came as charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was expected on Wednesday to be in her third day of a hunger strike.
Following the historic dismissal of Mrs May’s Brexit deal by MPs, voters are looking for answers about what happens next.