A former policeman accused of murdering his estranged wife in her high street hair salon in Kent suffered neither a loss of control nor diminished responsibility, a court has heard.

The evidence demonstrated Ivan Esack, 38, had a "cold-blooded determination" to kill Natalie Esack, 33, after she started a new relationship with Justin Khadaroo following their split, jurors were told.

She was knifed up to 11 times with such ferocity that the blade bent and the tip broke off in the attack in front of a young colleague at Esack Hair and Beauty in High Street, Ashford, on April 30 last year.

He bought the eight inch knife moments earlier from a supermarket before parking his car and walking the short distance to the salon where he found Mrs Esack working at reception.

Maidstone Crown Court heard that the "violent and controlling" ex-Kent Police detective constable could not cope with his wife being with someone else, "so no one else could".

Esack, who was an aspiring football agent, declined to give evidence at trial.

He denies murder but admits manslaughter on the grounds that he suffered diminished responsibility and a mental condition at the time.

In his closing speech, prosecutor Philip Bennetts QC told the jury: "The issue in this case is whether the offence of murder should be reduced to manslaughter, either because the defendant lost his self-control - and it's for the prosecution to prove so that you are sure that that was not the case - or that this defendant at the time of the killing was suffering from diminished responsibility."

He added: "The conclusion that the prosecution submits in this case is that this defendant is guilty of the murder of Natalie. There was no loss of control and there was no diminished responsibility.

"The evidence clearly demonstrates, so the prosecution submits, a cold-blooded determination to kill Natalie. He could not have her, so no one else could."

Mr Bennetts said jurors should draw their own conclusions about why Esack, of Rosewood Avenue, Ashford, declined to give evidence.

He also reminded them about a series of abusive calls and text messages he sent her in the lead-up to the killing, including some the day before her death.