East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) received a call at 7:45pm from concerned residents in Woodgate Road, Eastbourne on Tuesday 26th May after seeing a fox cub approximately 7 weeks old, running round with its head stuck in a plastic tub.

Senior Rescuer Chris Riddington from Eastbourne was the first on the scene to assess the situation and was shown a video of the fox cub taken by the residents. He also managed to see the fox but was unable to catch it on his own.

Two additional ambulances were sent to the scene. WRAS founder Trevor Weeks MBE and his partner Kathy Martyn from Uckfield as well as on call rescuers Rose Benians and Ollie Long from WRAS's Casualty Centre at Whitesmith drove down to the site to assist.

During the remaining daylight rescuers checked through the bushes but this became harder as the light faded. A vixen and two cubs were discovered hiding in some bushes, but not the cub with rescuer were after.

Rescuers spread out across the waste land, and stood and listened for movement and after about 15minutes there was movement in the bushes. Ollie and Chris approached from one side and Trevor from the other.

The cub was bundled into a carrier and taken back to WRAS's veterinary ambulance to have the plastic container removed. A hole was cut at the end to help with the breathing straight away, but then bandage scissors were used to cut the tub.

One of WRAS's vets Mike Symons was contacted and checked the cub over at WRAS's Casualty Centre where it was given anti-inflammatories, and anti-biotics, then bedded down for the night to recuperate.

The fox cub is now at WRAS's Casualty Care Centre and being treated.

"The top of the tub where a lid would screw on was quite thick plastic and difficult to cut, so had to use dressing scissors to cut the plastic. We had to be careful that we didn't injure the cub whilst cutting too. I then assessed the cubs neck for pressure necrosis and swelling and to look for other injuries, signs of infection as well as fly eggs and maggots. The cub's head certainly didn't smell nice! Luckily the wounds were not too serious and we hope that he will be a quick turn-around and back to mum."

WRAS founder Trevor Weeks MBE