Man who killed business partner jailed for 22 years

Faca of a killer: Palmer will serve a minimum of 22 years Credit: Sussex Police

Gerald Palmer has been jailed for life - with a minimum of 22 years - for murdering his former girlfriend and business partner Carrie Izzard.

On Sunday 20 March, Carrie Izzard spoke on the phone to her mother explaining that she had ended her relationship with Gerald Palmer, known as Gerry, some days earlier. He had moved out of her Herstmonceux home and she was now feeling optimistic about her future. Carrie ended the call to her mother at around 11am, stating that she thought Gerry was at the door and that she would phone her back.

Palmer attacked Carrie with a knife Credit: Sussex Police

Carrie, 47, had met 50-year-old Palmer, as they had shops close to each other in Sidley, near Bexhill. In 2014 when Carrie’s husband died suddenly of a heart attack, Palmer befriended Carrie and they started a relationship. They ran a tackle business from her shop during the time they spent together. However Carrie, a successful businesswoman, became suspicious of Palmer’s behaviour and suspected he was cheating on her so she ended the relationship.

Palmer, upset by his break up with Carrie, had left Wyland Angling Centre in Powdermill Lane, Battle, where he owned a shop, and drove to her home in West End, Herstmonceux.

When she answered the door, he attacked her in the hallway with a knife, stabbing her 29 times.

Leaving her to die from her injuries, he cleaned himself up and, leaving the knife in the bathroom sink, took Carrie’s shop takings and her house key before returning to the angling centre.

Growing concerned that Carrie hadn’t returned calls to her mother or sister, the following day they drove to Carrie’s home. When they arrived it was clear to them that something was amiss and they called police. Officers attended and found Carrie’s body slumped against a door inside the house.

They told officers about Carrie’s relationship with Palmer and they believed he had visited shortly after her mother last spoke to her. Palmer then became the primary suspect for her murder.

Officers started searching for Palmer and he was soon found at the angling centre. He had knife wounds to his neck and abdomen, and was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton. His self-inflicted wounds were superficial and he was taken into police custody later that evening.