Spending time at home during the festive season often means Christmas tree lights, log fires and candles which all pose a potential risk of fire.
To keep you safe this Christmas Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service have gathered some top tips in time for the festivities.
Check your Christmas tree lights are in good working order and conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598)
Always unplug Christmas lights before leaving the house or going to bed
Do not overload sockets - these can be a big fire risk
Fully extinguish any cigarettes and never smoke in bed
Check all of your smoke alarms - if they don't work replace them or if you don't have one treat yourself to an early Christmas present
Take some time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours - check their smoke alarms are in good working order
The number of fire-related deaths in England during 2015/16
Never leave burning candles unattended
Keep all candles, lighters and matches out of the reach of children
Don't attach decorations to lights or heaters as they can burn easily and don't hang them close to candles
Make sure family, friends and visitors staying for the festive period know how to escape in an emergency - tell them where door and window keys are kept
The kitchen is a high risk area - make sure you don't leave your Christmas dinner unattended
Switch off the oven and hob if you leave the house
The risk of accidents is greater after a few alcoholic drinks - make sure you take care in the kitchen