1. ITV Report

Man and two dogs rescued from Dorset house after Christmas lights blaze

The property on Verne Road was badly damaged Credit: DWFRS

Warnings are being issued to take extra care while using Christmas lights, after a blaze at a house in Weymouth.

A man and his two dogs had to be rescued from an upstairs window on Thursday night, after fire broke out in the hall of the property on Verne Road.

The staircase was impassable, trapping the man upstairs Credit: DWFRS

The fire service has released these pictures to show the damage caused- they say timely intervention by their firefighters prevented a much more serious incident.

Credit: DWFRS

They're urging people not to overload plug sockets, and make sure all lights are switched off when you go to bed.

They also warn people to buy all electrical items from reputable suppliers.

Credit: DWFRS