1. ITV Report

'I'm very nervous' - safety concerns remain for high-rise residents one year on from Grenfell fire

Hundreds of tower blocks have had safety checks carried out in the immediate aftermath Photo: ITV Meridian

The repercussions of the Grenfell Tower fire are still being felt right across the country.

The tragedy that ended 72 lives raised so many troubling questions about the safety of all our high-rise buildings.

Hundreds of tower blocks have had safety checks carried out in the immediate aftermath.

Cladding was removed from two tower blocks in Portsmouth and two in Oxford following the fire.

Cladding was removed from Horatia House in Porstmouth in July last year Credit: ITV Meridian

Just last week it was announced that hundreds of council tenants will have to be moved out of high-rises in Portsmouth because of fears about the structural integrity of the buildings.

The 272 flats at Leamington House and Horatia House in the Somerstown area were built by the local council in 1965 and the problems with their original construction have only just surfaced.

Fears arose about the structural integrity of two tower blocks in Portsmouth Credit: ITV Meridian

But concerns about safety remain for many across the region about improvements and a lack of sprinklers.

Donald Hambly, Shirley Towers resident

The events of 12 months ago still resonate with many living in high-rises in the region.

But council experts say their residents living high above the ground should not worry unnecessarily.

  • Watch our Social Affairs Correspondent Christine Alsford's report below

Christine spoke to Sarah Boyce, Shirley Towers resident, Dora Sitford, tower block resident, Janet Cotton, daughter, Mark Bradbury, Southampton City Council and Carole Donovan, resident.

Vigils have been held across the region to mark the one year anniversary with many observing a 72 second silence at 12pm on Thursday 14th June - a second for every life lost in the Grenfell fire.

At Winchester Fire Station officers held their own memorial event.

While at Heathrow, passengers came to a standstill to observe the silence.