Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Towel left next to bedside lamp causes bedroom fire

The fire broke out at the home in Bicester at 2am Photo: Credit: Oxfordshire County Council Fire & Rescue Service

A towel left too close to a bedside lamp has caused a serious fire at a family home near Bicester in Oxfordshire.

Fire crews from Bicester, Kidlington and Buckingham Fire Stations were called to the terraced house on Skimmingdish Lane in Caversfield at 2:13am on Saturday morning.

The blaze in a first-floor bedroom of a mid-terraced property had broken through the window and was quickly spreading.

Three people were inside the house at the time but were in other bedrooms. They were alerted by a smoke alarm sounding on the landing and following an initial attempt to fight the fire they shut the bedroom door, left the house and called 999.

The British Red Cross Fire Emergency Support Service also attended. Credit: Credit: Oxfordshire County Council Fire & Rescue Service

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was most-likely started accidentally 'by a towel being left too close to a bedside lamp'.

The residents were helped by members of the British Red Cross Fire Emergency Support Service from Oxford, who were sent out to offer support.

"This was a very serious fire which, if it hadn’t been for the smoke alarm sounding, could have resulted in a loss of life.

"The quick actions to shut the door and leave the property saved the rest of the house and allowed them to escape relatively unscathed.

"We cannot stress how important working smoke alarms are to save lives and protect property - please check yours weekly."

– Crew manager Pete Mackay of Bicester Fire Station