Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Fox freed after getting trapped in plastic waste

The RSPCA received a call from a member of the public Credit: RSPCA

A fox has been freed by the RSPCA after getting its head stuck in a detergent bottle.

RSPCA Inspector Tony Woodley attended a property in Littlehampton on May 5, following a call from a concerned member of the public.

The homeowner had recycled the container and had been using it as little feeding station for hedgehogs.

However this cheeky fox thought he would take advantage of the free food and stuck his head inside and duly got stuck!

When I arrived he was resting, which meant I was able to start cutting the container off his head. While I was in the process of doing this, he then jumped up and we had a little tug of war with him pulling one way and me the other. As soon as he was free he dashed off like a tornado and was none the worse for his experience.

The homeowner had been trying to help the hedgehogs in the garden by recycling the container and using it as a feeding station, so it was not a case of discarded rubbish.

But the incident highlights how easily wildlife can get caught in plastic and waste and we would remind people to ensure that they dispose of their litter responsibly.

– RSPCA Inspector Tony Woodley

The RSPCA has more advice about how to help hedgehogs in your garden, including advice on what to feed them, on its website.