1. ITV Report

Family's emotional appeal one year since mother and son killed in deliberate house fire in Eastbourne

Photo: Sussex Police

The family of a mother and her son, killed in a deliberate house fire in Eastbourne, are appealing for information, one year since their deaths.

Gina Ingles, 34, and four-year-old Milo Ingles-Bailey died in the blaze on Croxden Way in the early hours of July 10 last year.

Gina's partner, Toby Jarrett, 27, was also in the house when the fire took hold, but managed to escape through a first floor window.

He suffered serious burns.

Credit: ITV News Meridian

Detectives are still hunting for the arsonist who caused the blaze.

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Ashcroft, who is leading the investigation, says the force is "extremely grateful" to the local community for their "continued support and co-operation.

He added: "We remain just as determined now as we were in July 2018 to locate the person, or people, responsible for this horrific offence and bring them to justice. This deliberate criminal act claimed the lives of a mother and her young son, and has severely affected the life of another man. We are certain that someone, somewhere, knows what happened that terrible morning, and why.”

Credit: ITV News Meridian

“Losing a child at any time is devastating, but losing my daughter Gina and grandson Milo in such a violent and sudden way has been very hard to come to terms with.

“The whole family are still in shock and we continue to grieve them. There is not a single day that goes by that we don’t think of them and miss them.

“Milo’s little cousins also miss Milo and Auntie Gina, and trying to explain that they have gone and that they will never see them again is heart-breaking. We tell them that Gina and Milo fly around the stars and sleep on the moon. The boys always say goodnight and blow kisses to the moon at bedtime.

“Losing Gina and Milo is something that we as a family will never ever get over.

“We feel cheated, angry and helpless that the person who committed this cowardice crime is still out there somewhere.

“Milo and Gina should still be here with us enjoying life. Milo would have been coming to the end of his first year at school. We would have been planning the summer and looking forward to spending time with them.

“We know we cannot bring Gina and Milo back but we also believe that someone, somewhere, may have more information about the arson attack or possibly even know who is responsible for it. We urge them please that any information, no matter how irrelevant they might think it may be, to please come forward to the police as it could help to catch the people who did this and hopefully prevent them from putting another family through the agony that we have endured over this last year.

“For us, it still feels like it happened yesterday.”

– Jayne Ingles, Gina's mother
Credit: ITV News Meridian

Two local men, aged 47 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

The 23-year-old remains released under investigation pending further enquiries and the 47-year-old was released without charge and will face no further action.

Anyone with any information is urged to report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Druffield or contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.