A man who died after being hit by a car in Brighton has been described as a 'lovely lad' with a 'cheeky smile'.

Suel Delgado was one of three people who were struck by the vehicle on Marine Parade in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The 20-year old - who is from Crawley - played a part at Loxwood Football club for several years in both the youth and senior team.

Suel Delgado died after being hit by a car Credit:

In a tribute, the club which is based in Billingshurst said:"‪This is the hardest tweet as a club we have ever had to do but sadly we have lost a member of our Magpie family.

"Suel Delgado passed away yesterday.

‪"We will miss everything about you: Your cheeky smile, energy and jokes. Such a lovely lad to have around the club‬.

‪"Thinking of you and your friends and family."

Forensic officers investigating Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Sussex Police confirmed it was now treating Suel's death as murder following the collision at 5:20am.

Officers were initially called to a fight on the seafront.

Two other men, an 18-year old and a 22-year old, were also hurt after being hit by a car and are seriously ill in hospital.

The vehicle, a BMW X6, was found abandoned.

A 32-year-old man who was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm has now been released under investigation.

A 33-year-old man who was detained on suspicion of attempted murder on Monday morning remains in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Friday of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team:

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim who has sadly died this evening and with those of the other two victims who are in serious condition in hospital."This is now a murder investigation and we are again appealing for anyone who may have seen the incident or has any information about it to come forward.

"We are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have mobile phone footage, dashcam footage or anyone with private CCTV footage of the incident.

"Marine Parade is likely to remain closed between the pier roundabout and Camelford Street until Tuesday afternoon (3 December) while we are continuing searches and carrying out enquiries and I would like to thank the public for their patience."