Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Lucky escape for French Bulldog who devoured BBQ corn on the cob

Pet owners are being warned to keep an eye on their animals while having a barbecue after one dog from Kent required emergency surgery when it wolfed down a corn-on-the-cob.

French Bulldog Krug - named after the Champagne - had to be rushed to a pet hospital last month.

Krug was kept in hospital overnight before being allowed home the next day Credit: PDSA

Krug's owner Victoria Stanley, 36, who lives in Gravesend in Kent, is urging other pet owners to be cautious if they are planning a barbecue this bank holiday weekend.

"The weather has been beautiful so we decided to have a barbecue.

"That night Krug starting vomiting, and I guessed immediately that he'd eaten one of the corn-on-the-cobs which had gone missing.

"He kept being sick and acting strangely until the early hours so I called PDSA first thing the next morning."

– Victoria Stanley, Krug's owner
Krug needed emergency surgery to remove the cob Credit: PDSA

Krug was taken to Gillingham PDSA Pet Hospital, where vets performed scans and an X-ray. Ms Stanley was warned her beloved pet would need an emergency operation to remove the cob, which could cause a potentially fatal blockage.

Anaesthesia and surgery always carry risks, but these risks are higher in brachycephalic (flat-faced) breeds, like Krug.

Krug is now recovering well at home Credit: pdsa

"We knew we had to operate and when we opened up his stomach we found an entire corn-on-the-cob.

"With the warm weather here we're seeing more cases of pets swallowing corn-on-the-cob and other harmful BBQ foods, such as bones and skewers. "These can be incredibly dangerous, or even fatal in severe cases if they cause a blockage or perforations."

– PDSA vet Jenni LePard
Krug enjoying the sun in the garden as he recovers at home Credit: PDSA

Krug was kept in overnight at the hospital for monitoring following his surgery before being discharged on pain relief.

After lots of rest, he has gone on to make a full recovery.