The Mayflower Theatre in Southampton is to remain closed until December.
In a statement released on Thursday morning, the Chief Executive of the theatre, Michael Ockwell revealed it had been a difficult decision to make, and said that the coronavirus pandemic has had a devastating impact on the theatre industry.
He said, that the safety of customers and staff remains his top priority, and he doesn't believe that they will be in a position to safely open the theatre before 10th December.
Earlier this month Chief Executive of the theatre, Michael Ockwell, spoke to ITV Meridian about his concerns over how the pandemic is affecting cultural institutions.
Michael Ockwell, Chief Executive, the Mayflower
In a statement released this morning Michael Ockwell thanked the 'loyal diners' for their business in the theatre's restaurant Ovation over the past ten years.
Unlike some other theatres, the Mayflower receives no direct income from Arts Council England or the Government. 96% of their incomeis generated from ticket and ancillary sales.
The Mayflower has welcomed stars such as the Beatles, Laurel and Hardy, Julie Andrews and Take That.
£7.5 million was spent refurbishing the theatre in 2018.
The theatre is asking for donations through the website and is thanking those customers who have been able to take gift vouchers rather than refunds.