Watch a report by Christine Alsford
A mother from Hampshire has been warning other parents of the dangers of the Giant Hogweed plant after her children were left with severe burns and blisters.
Rebecca Barnes’ son and daughter, Reggie aged 7 and Roma aged 5, came into contact with the plant while playing outdoors with branches near a river close to their home. They both ended up needing medical treatment at a specialist unit.
Their mother said that at first, her daughter began to develop mild redness and rash-like symptoms, then after a long day in the sun things got worse.
Giant Hogweed is a common wild plant which produces a toxic sap. When the sap reacts with sunlight, it can damage the skin and cause permanent blisters and scars. It can also even lead to permanent blindness.
Both Roma and her brother both needed treatment at Salisbury District Hospital. Their parents think more should be done to alert the public to the dangers.
Rebecca Barnes is campaigning for warning signs to be posted along public footpaths. Meanwhile, Roma, will have to have bandages on her arms and legs for several weeks. Her mother says that the five-year-old will need to be extremely careful for the foreseeablefuture.
Experts, such as Guy Barter from the Royal Horticultural Society, say the weather conditions may mean that the risks of coming into contact with Giant Hogweed are greater this year than usual because the plant is flourishing in the current climate.
Giant Hogweed can be found throughout the UK, particularly near river banks where itseeds can be transported by the water.
The Woodland Trust advises people whose skin comes into contact with Giant Hogweed sap to wash the area thoroughly immediately, to seek medical advice, and not to expose the affected area to sunlight for a few days.