A three year old boy was left temporarily paralysed after being bitten by an adder in a park in Surrey. Now his family are urging other parents to be aware of the risks.
The family were having a picnic in Lightwater Country Park when the boy was injured. He needed urgent hospital treatment but is now recovering. Experts say adders are not aggressive but should be left well alone.
Report by ITV News Meridian's Juliette Fletcher:
Lewis Wise is enjoying playing in his garden with his dad. Nothing out of the ordinary except two weeks ago the three year old was rushed to hospital with his life in danger after being bitten by an adder at Lightwater Country Park.
Daniel Wise, Dad:
The youngster was given anti-venom serum but the swelling travelled up his leg and into his stomach. He couldn't move and It was four days before he started to improve.
This is Lewis taking his first steps to recovery:
Despite his experience, Lewis is not frightened of snakes and his dad has expert knowledge.
Adders often move in long grass and can be found basking in woodland glades. Around 50 to 100 people are bitten every year and a few need hospital treatment but experts say leave them alone and they won't hurt you.
Lewis' parents are urging others to be cautious when enjoying the countryside, but they are just thankful he's now back up and running again.