Hundreds of people, who were evacuated from their homes following a significant gas leak at a block of flats in Crawley, are now able to return home.
A major incident was declared after emergency services were called to the building in Milton Mount Avenue, Crawley, around 12.21am on Wednesday 6 January.
Approximately 700 residents were evacuated and placed in temporary accommodation until the scene was made safe.
As part of a multi-agency response, Sussex Police worked collaboratively with partners including West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, South East Coast Ambulance Service, West Sussex County Council, Crawley Borough Council and Southern Gas Networks to resolve the incident as quickly and safely as possible.
Six fire engines and an Incident Command Unit were mobilised to the scene. Information from Southern Gas Network indicated that a significant leak of natural gas had occurred. An on scene multi agency tactical meeting was convened between WSFRS, WSCC, Sussex Police, SECAmb and Crawley Borough Council.
There are no reports of any injuries.
SGN engineers identified and fixed the leak this morning.
Earlier on Wednesday, Detective Chief Superintendent Steve Rayland said: "This is an ongoing incident which has caused huge disruption to hundreds of people on a cold January morning, and I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding as we continue to work with our partners to minimise the ongoing disruption."
Councillor Peter Lamb, Leader of Crawley Borough Council, said: "This is an unsettling time for Milton Mount residents and their families. They will be able to return to their homes as soon as it safe for them to do so."
Video report by Nitya Rajan from Wednesday 6th January
Milton Mount residents are being advised to call 01293 438758 with any questions.