There are still many unanswered questions over David Fullers horrific past, Emily Morgan reports
The Health Secretary has announced an inquiry into how serial necrophiliac and double-killer David Fuller was able to prey on bodies at hospital morgues.
Sajid Javid announced an independent inquiry into the circumstances surrounding Fuller's crimes, and their national implications.
Hospital electrician Fuller admitted murdering then sexually assaulting two women in Tunbridge Wells decades before carrying out dozens of sex attacks on corpses in mortuaries.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid announces the inquiry
Mr Javid told the Commons the Kent trust involved has already initiated an independent investigation.
Support had been put in place for the families of the 100 victims and hospital staff impacted by the crimes, he added.
Mr Javid told MPs: “Given the scale and the nature of these sexual offences, I believe that we must go further.
“Today I can announce that I am replacing the trust investigation with an independent inquiry.
“The inquiry will look into the circumstances surrounding the offences committed at the hospital, and their national implications.
“It will help us understand how these offences took place without detection in the trust, identify any areas where early action by this trust was necessary, and then consider wider national issues, including for the NHS.”
Detectives found evidence of at least 100 victims while investigating Fuller over the 'bedsit murders' of two women in 1987.
Detectives said following Fuller's guilty plea last week they feared they may never know how many women and children Fuller abused in morgues.
Of the known victims, 81 have been formally identified and every family affected has been contacted, Mr Javid said on Monday.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid urged anyone who fears their loved ones may have been one of Fuller's victims to get in touch.
Watch ITV News Meridian's report on how David Fuller's crimes were exposed
He added: “This is a profoundly upsetting case that has involved distressing offences within the health service. The victims are not just those family members and friends who have been abused in this most horrific of ways, they are also those that are left behind.”
Penalties available for “appalling” sexual offences will also be re-examined following the case, MPs were told.
Mr Javid told MPs: “As sentencing has yet to take place, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the particular case.
“But I will say this – in light of what has happened, the Justice Secretary will be looking at whether the penalties that are currently available for such appalling sexual offences are appropriate.”