Exploding mobile phone charger bought in Sussex sparks warning

A warning has been issued to people living in Sussex after a phone charger, bought in Chichester exploded while it was being used.

The MENG NASI WP-025 power bank was purchased from Repair Hub, of 1 North Street.

The person who bought it, left it on charge. When they returned, the device had exploded into pieces and the room was filled with smoke.

The power bank exploded into pieces Credit: West Sussex County Council

People are now being urged to be on high alert, and anyone who has the same model, is being told to stop using it immediately.

Power banks are batteries that charge from the mains and can then be used to recharge or run mobile devices on the move.

The product was not marked with any details of the UK importer and West Sussex Trading Standards have launched an investigation to try and establish the chain of supply to the shop.

MENG NASI WP-025 power bank Credit: West Sussex County Council

Peter Aston, West Sussex Trading Standards Team Manager said: "This charger is dangerous and potentially lethal and we’re urging any residents who believe they could be in possession of one to stop using it immediately.

“Officers sent the item for examination where it was found to be of unsafe construction and exploded during safety testing.

“This particular power bank is a USB type and has the product number WP-025 2500mAh. If this model is found, return it to the retailer for a refund as soon as possible."

West Sussex County Council Trading Standards has launched an investigation

Duncan Crow, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Community Support, Fire & Rescue said, “This power bank can potentially cause burns, electrocution and even house fires, so any short term savings in price could cost so much more in the long run.

“Lives are at risk, so our message is simple - always buy a genuine charger or powerbank, designed by a well-known electrical brand in order to help protect you and your loved ones”.