Man who killed his mother in Oxfordshire found not guilty by way of insanity

62-year-old Carole Wright died at Watlington Hill on the 23rd October 2020. Credit: ITV News Meridian

Following a trial a man has been found not guilty of murder by way of insanity.

Daniel O’Hara-Wright, aged 24, formerly of Regent Avenue, Uxbridge was found not guilty by unanimous jury following a trial, which was heard at Oxford Crown Court.

A jury found that Daniel O’Hara-Wright killed his mother, 62-year-old Carole Wright.

The jury also concluded that Daniel O’Hara-Wright, could not be held criminally responsible for his mother’s death due to insanity at the time of the incident.

Evidence presented at the trial, from two psychiatrists, diagnosed that Daniel O’Hara-Wright suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.

At around 2.40pm on 23 October 2020, 62-year-old Carole Wright arrived at Watlington Hill for a walk. During the walk, Daniel O’Hara-Wright attacked his mother with sticks, a broken bottle and his feet, believing his mother to be demon.

A post-mortem revealed that Carole Wright died from blunt force trauma to the head, neck and chest. Daniel then left the scene on foot.

Police at the scene of the attack at Watlington Hill. Credit: ITV News Meridian

At around 3.30pm, a man matching the description of Daniel, ran into the road and onto the bonnet of passing car. He asked the female driver to drive him somewhere, but he got out of the car after the driver stopped the car. This member of the public alerted the police and a missing person search was commenced.

During that search officers were alerted to evidence of blood in the woods. Officers then discovered a body, which was later formally identified as Carole Wright.

A murder investigation was launched.

Later that evening, Daniel O’Hara-Wright was located after he had gained access to a house not far from the scene. He was found in the bathroom with serious self-inflicted injuries. He told officers at the scene that he had killed his mother.

The discovery of Carole Wright and the other incidents were soon connected, and Daniel was arrested on suspicion of murder. Following his arrest Daniel O’Hara-Wright, was taken to hospital, where, whilst on a bed watch, he assaulted a police officer and a nurse.

Daniel was never considered well enough to be brought into custody, however he was formally charged on 5 November 2020.

In relation to the assaults, the jury was not asked to consider verdicts, and these matters will lay on file. Daniel O’Hara-Wright will be sentenced on 21 December.