Man detained at Gatwick Airport as police cordon off part of North Terminal

Police could be seen in the North Terminal Drop-off lanes. Credit: ITV Meridian / Eddie Mitchell

A man has been detained at Gatwick Airport and a car park was cordoned off as police responded to an 'incident'.

Pictures showed the drop-off lanes at the Sussex Airport closed off and a large police presence.

Sussex Police has confirmed it responded to an 'incident' at Gatwick Airport.

Gatwick Airport also confirmed an incident had taken place but added no further comment when contacted by ITV Meridian.

Police speak to airport staff at the North Terminal. Credit: ITV Meridian / Eddie Mitchell

Sussex Police told ITV that the incident was not 'terror related' and thanked the public for their 'patience and understanding'.

In a statement a spokesperson said:

"We have now stood down a cordon which was in place while we dealt with an incident at the drop-off parking area at Gatwick Airport’s North Terminal on Friday evening (24 June).

"A man has been detained in relation to the incident, which is not being treated as terror-related.

"We would like thank the public for their patience and understanding while we dealt with the matter."

Police closed the main road into the terminal, causing passengers to walk along main roads to make their flights. Credit: ITV Meridian / Eddie Mitchell

On Twitter passengers caught up in the incident vented their frustrations.

One passenger wrote:

"North Terminal is closed, shuttle not running. Police everywhere. Good luck everyone flying from the North Terminal."

Whilst another, who was staying at the Premier Inn at the airport said they were 'locked in'.

"Currently locked in at the Premier Inn Gatwick Airport" they wrote. "Much of the terminal North closed, police dealing with suspect car parked outside."

Staff, passengers and armed Police could be seen outside the terminal. Credit: ITV Meridian / Eddie Mitchell

Police vehicles could be seen blocking the entrance to the North Terminal causing traffic to back up onto airport way and the M23 spur.

However, desperate passengers took measures into their own hands, and walked down blocked roads to the North Terminal.

Staff were ushering holidaymakers away from the terminal building, confining them to departures road, which is a few minutes walk away from the drop off zone.

The terminal has now reopened and the cordon stood down.