Kent man dies after being struck by helicopter blade in Greece

Tributes have been paid to a British man who died in a helicopter accident in Greece.

Jack Fenton, 22, from Kent was reportedly killed when he was struck by the helicopter's rear motor near the Greek capital, Athens on Monday.

He was said to have been travelling with friends and was returning from Mykonos on the Bell 407 helicopter when the incident happened.

Mr Fenton's mother, Victoria, described her son as "wonderful" and said the family are "devastated".

She said "We only found out what happened at 10pm last night. We are completely devastated. He was the most wonderful boy.

"I think the pilot is in custody, but it was the most horrible of accidents by the looks of it."

She added that her son had exited the helicopter safely after it landed, but went behind it and was killed instantly by the rear propeller.

Three people, including a pilot, have reportedly been arrested in connection with his death.

It's believed Mr Fenton was travelling back from the island of Mykonos with three friends. Credit: Nicolas Economou / NurPhoto / PA Images

Mr Fenton, reported to have studied at Oxford Brookes University, was described as "very popular" by the headteacher of his former school in Maidstone.

James Thomas, headmaster of Sutton Valence School, said: "Our school was very sad to hear the tragic news about Jack this morning.

"He was a very popular member of the community, and we have sent our condolences to the family.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the incident."

The head investigator is looking into reports the man was escorted from the plane but then returned back, at which point screams were heard.

Lead investigator, Ioannis Kondylis, said: "The helicopter company manual has two operating protocols, one with the rotors shut down and one with the rotors still working. The second happened last night.

"Under this protocol, two ground escorts accompany the passengers safely away from the plane.

"Yesterday the dead man disembarked from the right side and was accompanied away from the helicopter, 20 metres away.

"One of the two escorts stayed with the passengers but the other returned to the plane to talk to the pilot.

"It was then that the man went back to the plane while holding his phone according to the three witnesses (pilot, ground escorts)."

A spokesperson for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: "We are supporting the family of a British man who has died in Greece and are in contact with the local authorities."

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...