'Terrified' horse spooked by fireworks rescued after becoming entangled in fence

  • ITV News Meridian's Ciaran Fitzpatrick spoke to Cappy's owner about the ordeal

A "terrified" horse thought to have been spooked by fireworks has been rescued after becoming entangled in a fence in West Berkshire.

Firefighters from Newbury, Wokingham Road and Caversham Road worked alongside colleagues from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service to release the horse in Inkpen.

The horse was said to have been startled by fireworks which caused him to run through a fence where his hoof got caught.

Owner Hailey Weston said: "When I found him, it was a shock, we thought he was dead. If we had been warned we could have moved him.

"The fire service think he had been there for about 10 hours. It took several attempts to get him upright."

A horse found in West Berkshire entangled in fence. Credit: Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service

A spokesperson from Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "After two hours, crews were able to free the horse and place him into the care of the vet and his owner. We wish the horse all the best in his recovery."

The service said this incident is a reminder that firework displays can be frightening both for people and animals.

Ms Weston has raised £3,000 to help Cappy's recovery - it has gone towards massages and chiropractor treatments.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...